Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Horror Story;
or, They Sucked the Life Out of This One

The book on CD that I mentioned in the first post was Bram Stoker's Dracula, narrated by Alexander Spencer and Susan Adams. I was looking forward to it, since I'd never read it before.

Alexander Spencer's narration starts out all right--a little affected, but listenable. But by the middle of the second CD, when protagonist Jonathan Harker fully realizes his danger, Spencer gets hysterical and unbelievable.

Then, toward the end of the second CD, the narration switches to Harker's fiancee back in London, played by Susan Adams, who, as I mentioned below, has a high-pitched, breathy voice with a suspect British accent.

I will obviously have to read this in hard copy. The writing is great--it just can't stand up against the voices.

No comments: